Well – the answer could be very simple…
We’ve had an American software tool on trial, over the last month.
It’s been great. I LOVE it.
As our trial was coming to an end, we had a series of marketing emails to buy, buy, buy.
So I did (or at least, I tried to).
I clicked the link from their emails; put in all my details.
But when I clicked the ‘buy’ button, nothing happened.
I tried it in different browsers & on my phone. Still nothing happened.
I emailed them to set up a call. They didn’t ring.
It wasn’t good. By now – as a buyer – I’m getting pretty damn frustrated.
Eventually, I got to speak to someone on their helpdesk. They took my card details over the phone. Sorted.
But when I mentioned their ‘buy’ button wasn’t working…
They KNEW! “Our tech guys are on it, but we don’t have a fix date yet”.
You have a great product. You’re giving me a free trial. You’re spending all that time & energy marketing to me.
But you’re making it REALLY hard to buy.
It’s not good!
We learnt a valuable lesson that day.
As business owners, it’s our job to make it easy for people to do business with us. It’s our job to grease the slide, to turn people from prospects into paying customers.
And we all have those little barriers to the sale in our own businesses, that make it unnecessarily hard for people to buy.
- Maybe they call & your phones don’t get answered. Or their calls don’t get returned.
- Maybe their emails go into your spam, or you don’t reply as fast as they’d like.
- Maybe they’d like to pay by instalments, but you don’t offer that option.
- Maybe they’d like to pay by PayPal, but you don’t have a PayPal button on your website.
- Maybe they’d like to visit your business, but there’s no free parking nearby (could you direct them to a local car park, and refund parking with every purchase?).
- Maybe they only have Sundays off work, but you don’t open.
- Maybe they want a particular product, that you DO in fact stock, but they don’t know you have available.
- Maybe they’re not clear WHY your product will solve their problem better than your competitor.
- Maybe they found your website from Google, but it takes them to an out-of-date page.
You get the picture.
They may seem insignificant – but any one of these tiny little things can lead to a decision NOT to buy from you.
So what’s the answer?
Well – we have a lot of work to do in our business. We’ll plot out our customer journey, and every touch point at which a potential client could come into contact with us.
We’ll work really hard to identify possible barriers at every stage of their journey. We’ll work to eliminate them – and where we can’t, we’ll do our best to TELL our customers about alternative options.
Remove the friction & frustration for your customers.
It’s the hard work that makes the selling easy.
And it is OUR JOB to make it as easy as possible for people to buy from us.
By uncovering + removing each of those little barriers, one by one, we all stand SO much more chance of getting those sales.
Oh – and do make sure your buy buttons are working… ?
Until next time
[contact-form to=”firstname.lastname@example.org” subject=”LEAD: Contact Form – Why aren’t people buying from me?”][contact-field label=”Name” type=”name” required=”1″ /][contact-field label=”Email” type=”email” required=”1″ /][contact-field label=”Hello! How can we help you today? :)” type=”textarea” required=”1″ /][/contact-form]